Thursday, September 2

A Call to Imperfect Prayer; Psalm 70

I've read some people who would argue that a major part of prayer is waiting on God. All things happen in His time, after all, correct? Many Christians council each other not to hurry God or put Him "on a clock."

2 Peter 3:8-9 specifically tell us that God is on His own plan as far as time goes. And, Peter tells us, God is not slow.

What, then, do we do with this text, in Psalm 70? It's only five verses, but it says one thing very loudly...

Psalm 70

70:1 Make haste, O God, to deliver me!
O Lord, make haste to help me!
. . .
5 But I am
poor and needy;
hasten to me, O God!
You are my help
and my deliverer;
O Lord, do not delay!

<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> ><>

Now, what can this passage teach us? God tells us that He is not slow, but we have an entire psalm asking Him to hurry?

Well, it means many things. But one to focus on is how our perfectionist bent often leaves us prayerless.

Many people feel that unless they are praying "just right," they don't want to pray at all.

"I can't pray 'Your will be done,' but when I can I will."

"I'm too angry/disappointed/anxious with God to pray right now."

Take these feelings and the thousand that follow them and look Psalm 70 right in the eyes. David has a need. The Lord has taught him patience before, but even though he's missing the perfection of a patient prayer, he is praying.

Take some encouragement today in the fact that God wants your honest impatient prayer more than your perfectionist, pathetic prayerlessness.

Yes, perhaps someday you will be able to pray better. However, don't let that stop you from praying today.


No comments: