Saturday, May 26

Resources for Fathers of boys

As you may or may not know, I am the father of two boys. Ethan turns five tomorrow, and Owen turns three in early August. Our third son, Levi, is due to be born in three weeks.

Life is an adventure. A big climbing, tumbling, wrestling, yelling, diving adventure. For a specific example, you can read my greatest blogpost ever: 8 minute segments.

I have found a few resources that have helped me as a father of boys, and now I pass them to you.

1) Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood: This bio DVD was very inspiring, but these television shows were sooo important to me as a kid. For example, I play jazz piano because of this TV show. It's true.

2) C.S. Lewis' letters to Children: Lewis is a genius at speaking truthfully and respectfully to children at the same time. Whenever I find myself dealing with my boys in anger, I try to think of the tone of this book.

3) Dangerous Book for Boys: this is a new book that I bought last night on Al Mohler's recommendation. A quick read through shows the chapter on dinosaurs will need some explaining, but I don't mind.

4) Raising Children Who Hope in the Triumph of God: John Piper's ministry has been huge in my personal life, and this series of sermons on parenting were very influencial. The sermons include:

  • Will the Next Generation Know? Judges 2:6-14

  • Educating for Hope, Psalm 78:1-8

  • Fathers Who Give Hope, Colossians 3:21

  • He Must Manage His Household Well, 1 Timothy 3:4-5

  • Raising Children Who Hope in the Triumph of God, Ephesians 6:4

  • Do Not Forsake Your Mother's Teaching, Proverbs 1:7-9

  • Raising Children Who Are Confident in God, Psalm 78:1-8

  • One Generation Shall Praise Your Works to Another, Psalm 145:4


Also, these broadcasts Dr. Piper did through Family Life Today were great. Here's a quote.

5) Seven Words to Change Your Family: Although, to be honest I've never read the book. :-p I did hear the sermons. He is such a part of my DNA, I don't even know when I'm quoting Pastor James anymore.

6) Show Yourself a Man: Southern Baptist Seminary's newsletter has great articles by Al Mohler and Randy Stinson.

7) Awesome God: Rock music from Sovereign Grace's songwriters. We don't do a lot of kids' songs in our house at my wife's request, but this one passed the test. So did this gospel DVD. Otherwise, the kids listen to my music: Redman, U2, Keane, Brad Mehldau, MMW.

1 comment:

Lake Run said...

don't forget "Raising Purity" by HBC's very own Gerald Hiestand.