Friday, March 17

A devotional on lip-synching

Yes, I spent all day yesterday pretending to play piano.

As part of our Downpour series, Lifeway is making a DVD project and we have weaved some testimonies in of God's goodness to people in our worship team . . .

Personally, I love it. I've always thought that contemporary services -- with their committment to authenticity -- should have embraced testimonies rather than dramas. Sorry, different post.

Anyway, after the testimony, they decided to cut to the person singing a song that summed up their testimony. We had recorded these songs for a different project already . . . so we had to lip-synch a performance.

BTW - if you're the piano player, are you lip-synching, or finger-synching?

All day yesterday, I fought to keep my concentration on the Lord and not on cameras. I fought to steer away from "doing my acts of righteousness in front of others to be seen by them" (Matt. 6) and toward "letting my light shine before others so that they may glorify my father in heaven" (Matt. 5).

And, as other-worldly as the whole thing was, that's pretty much the same fight I fight every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool to hear you talk about that struggle. I also feel it big time, and strive to be free in personal worship and servant leadership to the flock.