Wednesday, August 24

Fundementalist Fatherhood made SCARY

I have two boys, Ethan and Owen, who I am trying to raise to love the Lord with all their hearts. I could use as much help as I can get . . . so I started poking around the internet for some help.

THE GOOD

Is anyone surprised that my wife and I really benefitted from this CD series by John Piper? Also, my wife learned a lot from Betsy Corning's class that she taught at our church.

This book is being recommended by Don Whitney and here's some insight from my blogger dejure, Justin Taylor.

THE BAD

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings . . . so we'll skip right to . . .

THE FRIGHTENING

Honestly, I don't think my boys will need to learn to work a crossbow to become men.


Nor will they need these blowdarts. I quoted my wife the part about the "one-way mouthpiece which prevents the safety darts from being inhaled," but she was less than reassured. She gave me a look that would have made a Green Beret cower. N.B. These toys are intended for kids 6 years and older. Honestly! I don't want milktoast boys either, John Eldridge, but is there manliness without militia?

I hadn't thought about teaching my boys Greek yet, but maybe I should. I wonder if the curriculum comes with a "Textus Recepticus"... Sure enough, there's Hebrew as well. David Jones would be pleased. "Bitzer was a banker", but not a baby.

No comments: