Monday, September 6

Where to go next: A big picture question.

I have had a little mission for the last two years or so. I ask believers that I know how they determine what portion of the bible to read for their quiet time.

There are two main answers. Can you guess them?

The second most popular answer is "I am reading through the bible in a year." These people have charts and know, on September 6th, what they are to read to get through all 1202 chapters in a year.

The most popular answer is "I just leaf through until something strikes me." There are many reasons why this is weak.

Allow me to quote from the late Rev. R. M. M'CHEYNE on this topic.

mcheyne


I fear many of you never read the whole Bible, and yet it is all equally divine. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction and instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect." If we pass over some parts of Scripture we will be incomplete Christians.

TIME WILL NOT BE WASTED IN CHOOSING WHAT PORTIONS TO READ. - Often believers are at a loss to determine towards which part of the mountains of spices they should bend their steps. Here the question will be solved at once in a very simple manner.


I'm trying to go through a systematic study of the bible. This has required keeping a spreadsheet of all the passages I've studied, dating back to January 2002. This way I can see how long it's been since I've poured over a particular passage. For example, even though I've read the passage as I read through the bible, my spreadsheet tells me that I've never really studied Amos.

Again, M'CHEYNE

If we pass over some parts of Scripture we will be incomplete Christians.


Here are a few links for structured bible reading plans.

1) The M'Cheyne plan.
2) Navpress and Discipleship Journal recommend two different plans.
3) Here's a whole page of devotionals. Just make sure you pick one that gets you through the whole thing.
4) Follow along with me. I'm diving into AMOS next.

gutenburg

No comments: